Research related to on-premise signs and way finding is not a new topic. Scholars and professionals from the fields of engineering, business, marketing, art, architecture, planning, and law, have long produced scholarship in this area. However, this research has often been difficult to find because of its dispersal in publications across an array of fields. The interdisciplinary Journal of Signage and Wayfinding seeks to fill that gap. Sponsored by the Academic Advisory Council for Signage Research and Education (AACSRE), this on-line, open source journal seeks to be the home for scholarship in the field of signage and wayfinding, and to make that scholarship accessible to academics and practitioners alike. The inaugural issue of this on-line open source journal was published in December 2016. You may view this issue for free at: https://ijsw.shareok.org/home/index. The second issue of the Journal will be published June 30, 2017. To be considered for publication, authors must submit their work no later than April 1, 2017.
1. Length: Manuscripts should be approximately 4,000-6,000 words in length, not including Figures, Tables, charts, illustrations, and references. The editors may consider shorter and, in exceptional cases, longer papers.
2. Style: Authors will be expected to utilize the writing and citation conventions appropriate for publication in their discipline.
3. Format and Font: Use 8.5 inch x 11 inch paper size (not A4 paper size) with 1 inch margins on all sides and Times New Roman 12 point font. Font exceptions may be made for Figures and Tables, but ensure that they are easily readable. Use portrait page orientation, even for Figures and Tables.
4. First page: On the first page of the paper, please provide:
- The paper’s title
- An abstract of 100 words or less
- A list of approximately five keywords that describe your article and will help people find your article in indexing and abstracting databases.
5. Graphics: Figures and Tables, accompanied by Figure numbers and captions, should be provided in a separate, clearly named file. However, please include the Figure numbers and captions at the appropriate place(s) in the text. Figures should be saved as .jpg or .tiff files. We encourage authors to include photos and other illustrations in their submissions.
6. Information Page: No part of the paper should include information that identifies the author(s). Please include a separate page that lists:
- Title of paper
- Authors’ names and affiliation (e.g., place of employment)
•A short (100 words or less) biographical note for all authors
•Full contact information for the author(s)
•Up to five keywords describing each author’s research interests
•Information about any websites or relevant organizations that relate to the subject of your article
7. Reference List: Use APA style and include the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) reference format, if available. For electronic references, use the DOI vs. a URL, if one exists. See APA for more detailed information on referencing.
Additional Considerations: Articles from all disciplines will be considered for publication. Authors will be expected to utilize the writing and citation conventions appropriate for publication in their discipline. The content of each submission will be subject to double blind peer review. The editor will assign articles received to academics and/or practitioners in the related field of study. These reviewers will include, among others, the members of the Academic Advisory Council for Signage Research and Education. Submitted manuscripts will be reviewed first by the acting editor and chair of the Academic Advisory Council for Signage Research and Education, Dr. Dawn Jourdan.
Questions and completed manuscripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.