DIRECTOR OF THE URBAN STUDIES AND PLANNING PROGRAM
We seek an experienced and accomplished individual to lead the University of Maryland (UMD) Urban Studies and Planning (URSP) program. The URSP program administers the Master of Community Planning (MCP) degree, a nationally recognized degree program accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB). The program is housed within Maryland’s built environment school – the School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation – which is located on the University of Maryland’s flagship campus in College Park, Maryland. URSP’s commitment to engaged and impactful research embodies the land grant mission of UMD. Our location within the D.C. metropolitan area and in close proximity to the Baltimore metropolitan area provides a unique opportunity to inform national urban policy debates and engage with planning scholarship and professional practice in diverse metropolitan contexts. Our program also builds upon the strengths of the National Center for Smart Growth (NCSG), an international leader on research related to smart growth, community development, and transportation planning.
We seek a leader who can bolster our program’s regional identity while elevating our program’s national reputation. The URSP Program Director works with the faculty to provide leadership and implement the program’s mission, stated in the program’s recently adopted strategic plan, to promote and foster “a more just and sustainable world by producing rigorous policy-relevant and community-engaged research; educating the next generation of planning professionals who work in diverse settings and organizations; and engaging the broader public in discussion and debate about the future of cities and communities.”
The ideal candidate for this position will have a combination of experience and accomplishments that qualify the candidate for an appointment as a Full Professor with tenure, although we will also consider candidates at the advanced tenured Associate Professor level. The ideal candidate will complement our program’s strengths, contributing to one or more areas of the MCP core curriculum and at least one of our four specializations: housing and community development, economic development, transportation planning, and environmental planning. We particularly value candidates with experience designing and implementing interdisciplinary strategic initiatives. Experience working to achieve or maintain PAB accreditation is a plus. We also seek candidates who enhance the gender, racial, and ethnic diversity of our faculty.
- Ph.D. in urban planning or a related discipline
- Current or previous university appointment at the tenured Associate Professor level or higher
- Evidence of previous experience in academic or research administration
- AICP certification is desired but not required
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the chief representative and advocate of the URSP program
- Oversee the implementation of the URSP strategic plan
- Monitor compliance with the accreditation requirements of the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB)
- Work with the School’s leadership team to establish interdisciplinary initiatives and promote synergies between the URSP program and other programs in the School
- Promote superior teaching, research, and service among faculty members
- Serve as the primary liaison between URSP faculty and students
- Engage with URSP alumni and the program’s Technical Advisory Community on issues germane to the mission of the URSP programTo apply, please visit here: https://ejobs.umd.edu/