The Kinder Institute for Urban Research is a multi-disciplinary “think-and-do tank” housed on the Rice University campus in central Houston, focusing on urban issues in Houston, the American Sun Belt, and around the world. The Kinder Institute builds better cities and improves people’s lives by bringing together data, research, engagement and action.
The research manager conducts research and manages the administration and operations of large complex research projects that leads to work products within the Institute’s overall research agenda. S/he conveys vision, ideas, goals, and issues as well as produces reports and presentations. The research manager’s work focuses on projects touching a variety of issues, including housing, resilience, governance and transportation. Examples of this work may include housing studies focused both on the built environment and the individual residents, transportation surveys and network analyses, and work around greenspace and urban development. The day-to-day work of the research manager consists of overseeing and participating in research of several ongoing projects. The manager may direct the work of individual staff members in addition to undertaking specific research assignments. S/he partners with Kinder Institute staff both on the presentation of salient data and on the writing of connected reports.
The research manager assists the program director in shaping the program’s overall research agenda and approach. S/he conducts assigned research assignments and produces final work products within the project’s specified timeline. In the course of research, the research manager may be asked to join the program director for meetings with partner organizations and government representatives, and assist the team with the dissemination of research.
The research manager reports to the director of strategic partnerships at the Kinder Institute for Urban Research.
Education Required: Master’s Degree
Urban planning, public policy, urban studies, economics, sociology, political science, data science, and/or another related field.
Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Education Preferred: PhD
Experience Required: 4 years
Type of Experience:
Related experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research and producing research reports and experience managing teams of researchers, and managing multiple projects.
Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
- Experience working as a researcher in a team environment
- Experience conducting and managing research projects
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent collaborative, judgement, leadership, negotiation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills with attention to details and willingness to take initiative
- High proficiency and comprehensive knowledge of project management including the proven ability to predict and evaluate potential risks and to create solutions before they arise
- Ability to work in a team environment, actively participates, motivates and follows-though, as needed
- Excellent organizational skills to plan and schedule
- High comfort level making independent decisions
Internal / External Contacts
Internal: Rice staff, faculty and researchers.
External: Stakeholders and community partners.
Must be able to attend meetings around the city.
- General office work with extended periods sitting in front of a computer
- Rarely may require extended hours to meet deadlines
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Security Sensitive: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please direct any questions you may have to email@example.com. Thank you.
Job Duty Name: Essential Functions
Description of Job Duty:
- Manages the daily activities, including project development, data collection and data analysis
- Responsible for budget management and financial forecasting including oversight of both
- Procures materials and supplies, as needed
- Assists with the dissemination of research findings and maintain systems for tracking project-related presentations, publications, and other outputs
- Creates, oversees, (and supervises others in) maintaining and communicating with research respondents across multiple projects
- Serves as an initial point person for research respondent correspondence and communication
- Oversees and contributes to the day-to-day activities of the project and research office functions
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Job Duty Name: Additional Duties
Description of Job Duty:
- Develops a research agenda using appropriate analytical approaches, models, and methods
- Plans, directs and conducts research
- Translates research results into timely and relevant public policy recommendations
- Writes and publishes white papers, conference reports, opinion articles, blogs and policy briefs
- May manage a team of other researchers and programmatic support staff
For more information and to apply, please visit http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/
Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Veterans/