More than half of the world’s population currently lives in cities and that number is expected to double by 2050. Creating sustainable cities is critical to the future of Canada and the world, and our collective response to climate change will be felt and fueled by our urban centres. We need cutting-edge research to help guide progress at all levels of government in order to effect real and tangible change. To that end, the Faculty of Arts has created the Invited Research Chair in Urban Sustainability to financially support invited researchers during their stay at the University of Ottawa.
The Invited Researcher will benefit from a stimulating intellectual environment within the context of the Faculty’s Sustainable Cities Initiative. This initiative brings together a critical mass of experts, researchers, and graduate students to engage in collaborative, solution-oriented research that will help cities in Canada and around the world become more sustainable within the context of the environmental change.
1. Uphold and strengthen the Faculty of Arts’ tradition of excellence in research that touches on cultures and communities, as well as on environmental sustainability.
2. Promote research on urban sustainability.
3. Encourage interdisciplinary research on urban sustainability.
4. Foster the development and inclusion of researchers (Master’s students, doctoral candidates, postdocs, and established professors) whose work focuses on urban sustainability.
5. Ensure the internal and external visibility of the Faculty of Arts’ research activities, especially through knowledge mobilization, by working closely with other researchers affiliated with the Sustainable Cities Initiative.
– International (out of Canada) researchers who are recognized as specialists in urban studies.
– Full-time professor at a university or an accredited research institution.
View more information about the Invited Research Chair in Urban Sustainability program, funding, selection process and how to apply, at this link: https://www.uottawa.ca/faculty-arts/news-all/mobility-research-chair-urban-sustainability
Deadline to submit nominations : February 9, 2024
Date of evaluation committee decision: no later than 15 April, 2024