2021 Award Nominations Deadline: October 15, 2020
Award decision: January 11, 2021
In 2014, the Urban Affairs Association (UAA) inaugurated the Contribution to the Field of Urban Affairs Award to recognize individuals whose body of work has contributed to defining the field. One or more awards will be given annually at the UAA spring conference. The individual(s) will be recognized for significantly shaping the field of Urban Affairs based on one or more of the following criteria:
- Scholarship in urban affairs that influences the thinking of academics and practitioners over an extended career;
- Significant teaching and mentoring of junior scholars; or
- Distinguished professional service that advances the work of urban affairs practitioners.
Award recipients receive a plaque, lifetime UAA membership, complimentary registration for all UAA conferences (valued at $400+ each year), and an invitation to the annual VIP Dinner. The award recipient will participate in a special session at the annual UAA conference to share her/his research, its findings and implications for practice and policy.
INCOMPLETE nomination forms will not be forwarded to the award selection committee if the three items below are not provided.
Nominations can be made online by any UAA member (See button below). To complete the nomination form, you will need to:
1. Nominee’s information: provide the nominee’s name, institutional affiliation and email address;
2. Nominee’s curriculum vita: provide a recent copy of your nominee’s vita; and,
3. Three (3) letters of support. Each letter must be no more than 1500 words in length. Do NOT include more than three letters. Only three letters will be forwarded to the award committee for review. You must upload all three letters in order to complete the nomination form. Incomplete nomination forms will not be forwarded for review.
Individuals who have been previously nominated, but not selected for the award, may be re-nominated at any time. There are no limits on the number of times a person is nominated. To re-nominate an individual, simply follow the nomination procedures listed above.
Award Selection Procedures
All nominations will be reviewed by the Recognitions Committee of the UAA, which is appointed by the Chairperson of the Governing Board. The Committee will review nomination materials and inform the UAA Executive Director of the outcome. The UAA Executive Office informs the recipient of the award decision.
Make a Nomination
Please contact the UAA Executive Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (2020) Harold Wolman (George Washington University)
- (2019) John Hull Mollenkopf (CUNY Graduate Center)
- (2018) Gregory Squires (George Washington University)
- (2017) Susan Clarke (University of Colorado)
- (2016) George Galster (Wayne State University)
- (2014) Clarence Stone (George Washington University)